Deposit for Ixil Triangle Travel, February 8 - 18, 2025
Join us for truly an off-the-beaten path rural textile travel experience to explore the Ixil region of Guatemala, often dubbed the "Ixil Triangle" due to the three cities/towns: Nebaj, San Juan Cotzal, and Chajul. This trip will not only take you to an area logistically complicated to reach, but also introduce you to our welcoming partner weavers in San Juan Cotzal and many local community visits. Enjoy home-cooked meals, learn community-specific recipes, take in the brocade figures and backstrap weaving techniques, and more. Of course, shopping is encouraged! Buying directly from the makers is always best, and what a luxury to be able to do so from artists so far away.
Total 10 nights: 5 in the Ixil region + 1 in Chichicastenango + 4 in Antigua
Min 6 participants / Max 8 participants
$2800 per person in single-occupancy rooms (except the two nights at an active dairy farm). Take $200 off per person when signing up together and sharing a room.
Reserve your spot with a $500 non-refundable deposit. Note that the deposit is a little higher than for other itineraries in order to cover the extended transport costs in case of a cancellation.
- History and evolution of regional Ixil textiles, introduced through an expert textile talk with physical textile samples.
- Antigua, Nebaj, San Juan Cotzal, Chajul, Acul, Chichicastenango,
- In-depth pikbil weave demonstration by master weavers
- Traditional vegetarian dish "boxbol" together with our partner weavers
- The dark and real history of the Ixil people during the internal conflict
- A working dairy farm in the picturesque highlands, and award-winning Chancol cheese
- The beautiful UNESCO-heritage city Antigua Guatemala. Visit the artisan market together, learn about all sorts of heritage art traditions of the country.
- And more!
- 5 nights in the Ixil region. Note that one of the accommodations will be at an active dairy farm with limited rooms. All participants will need to share a room (double occupancy) for two nights while at the farm. But we think the delicious meals and incredible views make this visit worthwhile.
- 1 night in Chichicastenango. This will be before market day - so fun to see the town get ready for the largest open-air market in the country. We will enjoy the market, too.
- 3 nights in Antigua at our favorite hotel that feels like a home away from home
- All meals except for the arrival and departure days and two "free-time" slots
- All rural community visits, including demonstrations, workshops, and a cooking class
- All in-country transport with a trusted driver. This includes airport transfers between Aurora Airport (Guatemala City) and Antigua.
- A printed-out "Antigua Guide" we have developed with our favorite places around town for participants to explore before and/or after the group trip
- Two bilingual expert guides for the entire trip, with additional local village expert facilitators for workshops and activities
- Personalized pre-trip assistance and communication, including a group Zoom call
- COVID-19 vaccination required to participate.
- This itinerary includes home-cooked and restaurant meals in rural communities. We cannot guarantee changes to the menu to meet dietary restrictions. We will do our best, but those with special dietary needs should be prepared with snacks in case an alternative cannot be provided at homes and at restaurants.
- This itinerary includes walking up and down hill on rural visits, as well as stairs at hotels. We will also be driving long hours to access hard-to-reach communities.
- The rest of the payment for this itinerary will be invoiced either after the sign-up deadline (September 30th) or when the spots fill. Instructions will follow. We are happy to work out a flexible payment schedule.
- Images from our last group trip in 2022.
Trip Cancellation Policy
If the trip is canceled by the participant:
- Up to two months to the start date of the itinerary: full amount in voucher form for future travel with Kakaw Designs, minus the non-refundable deposit.
- Less than two months to the start the itinerary: 50% trip cost in voucher form for future travel with Kakaw Designs, minus the deposit.
- Less than one month to the start the itinerary: no refund/voucher.
- Delay in joining the group for any reason: no refund for missed time in Guatemala.
- Early return home or disruption of travel with the group for any reason, including missed meals or group activities: no refund and traveler pays any extra expenses incurred (transportation, etc.).
If the trip is canceled by the organizers due to unforeseen circumstances in Guatemala
(volcano eruptions, COVID-19, etc.), the full amount is refunded minus the deposit and any associated bank transfer or credit card fees.
Questions? Reach out at email@example.com
Deposit for Intensive Backstrap Weaving Week, June 24-28, 2024
//This is a non-refundable deposit to reserve your spot for the Intensive Backstrap Weaving Week...
Deposit for Sumpango Embroidery Week, November 25-29, 2024
//This is a non-refundable deposit to reserve your spot for the Sumpango Embroidery Week held...
Deposit for Cobán Cloud Forest Adventure, January 9 - 17, 2025
//This is a non-refundable deposit to reserve your spot for the rural community and textile...
Deposit for From Fiber to Fabric trip, April 7-14, 2024
Update Jan 2024: This trip is officially closed for sign-ups. If you'd like to be...