Private Class: Traditional Tote Embroidery with Claribel (in-person) / Contact us to schedule
//This class includes all materials and two hours of instruction in Spanish for 1-4 participants. The exact address is shared upon registering. Please message us via WhatsApp at +502 5191 1991 or email us at email@example.com to coordinate the date and time.//
This two-hour class includes:
- The canvas tote made by Creamos already stenciled by Claribel for easy embroidery (two designs available: traditional neckline and barrilete, a traditional giant kite)
- Naturally-dyed cotton threads of your choosing, also to take home and continue stitching
- Our PDF guide with videos on each of the traditional stitches taught by Claribel. The access will be sent automatically to the provided email at check-out upon purchase of this product.
- Use of a studio backstrap loom
- A small snack
- Optional: English interpretation for the beginning of the class, when Claribel speaks about the embroidery tradition in Sumpango, the garments, colors, patterns, etc. The charge is $10 for translation.
Claribel is our friend from Sumpango, a town known for beautiful traditional neckline embroidery full of flowers, volcanoes, and other motifs reminiscent of the town's famous Barriletes, the giant kites flown for All Saints' Day. She is also a master embroideress with so much experience sharing her textile tradition with those interested. You can just feel how she radiates with pride and joy as she talks about the different traditional motifs and stitches. It is wonderful to see her light up as she shares the art she holds so dear. We're sure you will love it, too!
Small group BARRILETE embroidery with Claribel! (In-person) / TBD
UPDATE Oct 17th: We are cancelling this class due to national protests in Guatemala. We...
Private Class: Backstrap Weaving with Doña Lidia or Doña Everilda (in-person) / Contact us to schedule
//This is a private outdoor weaving class held at our studio garden in central Antigua...
Private Class: Chajul-style Pompoms with Chato (in-person) / Contact us to schedule
<<Update Sep 2023: Chato is available to hold class only from Monday to Wednesday from 10am...
Private Class: Warping with Doña Lidia or Doña Everilda (in-person with materials) / Contact us to schedule
//This is a one-on-one in-person outdoor weaving class for learning the traditional Maya Kaqchikel warping...