Deposit for Colors of Guatemala trip, January 8-17, 2024 (total $2750 single room)
Update October 2023: We have closed sign-ups for this itinerary. If you would like to be put on the wait list, please email Mari directly at email@example.com.
//This is a non-refundable deposit to reserve your spot for the natural dye exploration itinerary from January 8-17, 2024. Deadline to sign up is September 30th, 2023. Please check our FAQ sheet for more information on our Textile Travels. Wondering how to compare the different itineraries? See our blog post.//
A new itinerary put together with indigo practitioner Abigail Rothberg from Mysa! Over the past decade working with artisans in Guatemala, we at Kakaw have learned a lot about natural dye practices and traditions. But, sometimes, it seems like the more we learn, the more we have follow-up questions! This is the pull of the magic behind natural dyes that many of our workshop participants also feel. Thus, our new travel itinerary to explore more in-depth than ever before -- come along with us foraging, harvesting, nature-walking, dyeing, and more! Learn about the history of natural dye practices in the area, and the movement to support and bring back this tradition.
We are committed to local education/training in Guatemala, and plan to sponsor two local artisans interested in natural dyes for this trip. We will need a minimum of 8 participants to offer sponsorships.
- Introduction to Guatemalan textiles
- History of natural dyes in Guatemala
- A traditional ikat weave studio and their educational project
- Foraging and harvesting local dye plants
- A local cochineal farm
- Resist-dye techniques such as ikat
- Dyeing with local materials
- Indigo practices from a local master dyer who grows and processes her own indigo
- Plain weave on a backstrap loom. The finished loom is for you to take home and continue weaving!
- 4 nights at Lake Atitlán at two lake-front lodges that are locally-owned and operated, with plenty of common outdoor space to practice our crafts (Santiago Atitlán and San Juan la Laguna)
- 5 nights in Antigua at our favorite hotel that feels like a home away from home
- All meals except for two which are "free-time"
- All small group workshops and one-on-one instruction in open-air settings, sometimes overlooking the beautiful lake
- All in-country transport with a trusted driver. This includes airport transfers between Aurora Airport (Guatemala City) and Antigua.
- A private boat at Lake Atitlán
- A printed-out "Antigua Guide" we have developed with our favorite places around town for participants to explore before and/or after the group trip
- Two bilingual expert guides for the entire trip, with additional local village expert facilitators for workshops and activities
Min 6 pax (Min 8 pax for artisan sponsor) / Max 12 pax
$2750 per person in single-occupancy rooms. Take $200 off per person when signing up together and sharing a room.
Reserve your spot with a $300 deposit.
Want to learn more? Here is a little Q and A with Abigail on our blog.
- COVID-19 vaccination required to participate.
- This itinerary includes home-cooked and restaurant meals in a rural community. We cannot guarantee changes to the menu to meet dietary restrictions. We will do our best, but those with special dietary needs should be prepared with snacks in case an alternative cannot be provided at homes and at restaurants.
- The hotels we use for this trip have plenty of steps, and the village visits require some walking. We ask that individuals with mobility challenges seriously consider these factors. When in doubt, please reach out and ask!
- The rest of the payment for this itinerary will be invoiced after the sign-up deadline (September 30th). Instructions will follow. We are happy to work out a flexible payment schedule.
Small group BARRILETE embroidery with Claribel! (In-person) / TBD
UPDATE Oct 17th: We are cancelling this class due to national protests in Guatemala. We...
Private Class: Backstrap Weaving with Doña Lidia or Doña Everilda (in-person) / Contact us to schedule
//This is a private outdoor weaving class held at our studio garden in central Antigua...
Private Class: Traditional Tote Embroidery with Claribel (in-person) / Contact us to schedule
//This class includes all materials and two hours of instruction in Spanish for 1-4 participants....
Private Class: Chajul-style Pompoms with Chato (in-person) / Contact us to schedule
<<Update Sep 2023: Chato is available to hold class only from Monday to Wednesday from 10am...